This site is a work in progress and relies on national and state partners to help find and share information and resources. Have news or resources worth posting? Send them to email@example.com.
Dates and Deadlines
All states must submit to CMS a plan for transitioning their current HCBS system into compliance with the new rule by March 17, 2015. States submitting a 1915(c) waiver renewal or amendment before March 17, 2015 must include a transition plan in that submission. States then have 120 days from that submission date to submit a transition plan for the remainder of their HCBS system.
- In May, 2014, the New York State Department of Health posted the Office for People with Developmental Disabilities Waiver Renewal and Assessment Plan. Comments on the plan were due June 3, 2014.
- In June, the state posted the Proposed Statewide Transition Plan. Comments were due July 31, 2014.
- The Department of Health held a webinar on July 28, 2014 about the rule.
- On January 22, 2015, the Department of Health posted a presentation about the Revised Statewide Transition Plan to Comply with the HCBS Final Rule.
- In February 2015, the state posted a Revised Statewide Transition Plan. Comments were due March 3, 2015.
- OPWDD invites the public to comment on the Renewal Application by e-mail from Wednesday, December 23, 2015 through March 4, 2016. Comments may be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Public Comment period on Amended HCBS Statewide Transition Plan. Comments were accepted through August 19, 2016. Click here for information on how to submit your comments.
State DocumentsBack to TOP
NEW! Initial Approval with Milestones and a Resubmission Date. This letter is the communication CMS sends to the state notifying the state that public comment, input and summary requirements are met, the STP is sufficient, but systemic and/or site-specific assessments are not yet completed. The response to the state will vary dependent on whether the state has or has not identified settings that are presumed to have institutional characteristics and any information the state may wish CMS to consider under the heightened scrutiny process. CMS sent this letter to New York on November 16, 2018.
- List of Transition Plans (OPWDD)
- Presentation on Settings Rule
- Proposed Statewide Transition Plan – Comments were due July 31, 2014
- Revised Statewide Transition Plan – Comments were due March 3, 2015
- Clarifications and/or Modifications required for Initial Approval (CMIA): This letter notifies states that public comment, input and summary requirements are met, but CMS has identified issues that must be resolved in the Statewide Transition Plan (STP) prior to initial approval. CMS sent this letter to New York on September 16th, 2015.
- Office for People with Developmental Disabilities HCBS Settings Transition Plan posted for public comment June 3, 2014
- Public Announcement and Resources – May 2014
- February/March 2015 HCBS Settings Transition Plan Webinar PowerPoint
- HCBS Waiver Transition Plan – February 2015
- Announcement for Public Comment – February 2015 – Comments were due March 18
- Re-Issued Announcement for Public Comment – February 2015 – Comment were due April 1
Letter from CMS to New York regarding HCBS Rules and 1115 Waiver: HCBS letter to New York
ResourcesBack to TOP
Advocates for Adults with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities Legal Clinic at Brooklyn Law School: a law school clinic that provides direct legal services and policy advocacy on behalf of adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
HCBS Toolkit (OPWDD)
NY Transformation Panel website (OPWDD)