This site is a work in progress and relies on national and state partners to help find and share information and resources. Have news or resources worth posting? Send them to email@example.com.
Dates and Deadlines
All states must submit to CMS a plan for transitioning their current HCBS system into compliance with the new rule by March 17, 2015. States submitting a 1915(c) waiver renewal or amendment before March 17, 2015 must include a transition plan in that submission. States then have 120 days from that submission date to submit a transition plan for the remainder of their HCBS system.
On September 27, 2018 Michigan posted an updated transition plan and public comments are due October 26, 2018.
On August 26, 2014 the Michigan Department of Community Health posted transition plans for the MI Choice Waiver and Habilitation Supports Waiver. Comments on both plans are were due September 26, 2014.
On November 13, the Department of Community Health hosted one of several webinars on the rule.
On November 24, the Department of Community Health posted a Draft Statewide Transition Plan. Comments were due December 24, 2014.
State DocumentsBack to TOP
Initial Approval with Milestones and a Resubmission Date. This letter is the communication CMS sends to the state notifying the state that public comment, input and summary requirements are met, the STP is sufficient, but systemic and/or site-specific assessments are not yet completed. The response to the state will vary dependent on whether the state has or has not identified settings that are presumed to have institutional characteristics and any information the state may wish CMS to consider under the heightened scrutiny process. CMS sent this letter to Michigan on August 10, 2016
Clarifications and/or Modifications required for Initial Approval (CMIA): This letter notifies states that public comment, input and summary requirements are met, but CMS has identified issues that must be resolved in the Statewide Transition Plan (STP) prior to initial approval. CMS sent this letter to Michigan on August 7, 2015
New – Revised Statewide Transition Plan (April 2018
Revised Statewide Transition Plan (December 16, 2015)
Cover letter and Consultation summary for revised Statewide Transition Plan (STP) (March 15, 2016) Consultation summary pages 1-21 and the revised STP pages 22-113
HCBS Rule Presentation to Stakeholders held October 1, 2014
State Webinar Slides (November 13, 2014)
Draft Statewide Transition Plan – Comments were due December 24, 2014
Statewide Transition Plan – Submitted to CMS January 16, 2015:
- Cover Letter (January 16, 2015)
- Summary of Public Input ( public input period was from November 24, 2014 through December 24, 2014
- Habilitation Supports Waiver:
- Michigan HCBS Transition Plan Provider Self-Assessments and Consumer/Beneficiary Self-assessment FAQ for Survey Respondents – Developed by DD Institute at Wayne State University on April 15, 2016
- The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services is partnering with the Developmental Disabilities Institute of Wayne State University to conduct the statewide assessment process for the Habilitation Supports Waiver.
- If you have questions about the Michigan Statewide Transition Plan, email: HCBSTransition@michigan.gov.
- The Arc of Michigan January 2016 Comments on Draft Statewide Transition Plan
- Michigan Protection and Advocacy Service Comments on MI Choice Waiver Amendments
- The Arc of Michigan December 2014 Comments on Draft Statewide Transition Plan
- Michigan Protection and Advocacy December 2014 Comments on Draft Statewide Transition Plan
NewsBack to TOP